Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Caspar David Friedlich



the feeling of the sublime is what friedlich was going for, and in my opinion not really accomplished here because there's that dude in the way. I get the intention of placing that character there to fulfill the idea that the viewer's body is in fact there, but I feel instead that I'm just staring at this guy's back while he has the good view, which actually reminds me of my art history classes, because I'm usually staring at the back of someone's head instead of the projection because of the poor use of space in the classrooms, and probably my poor choice of seat.

Why I like this painting:
-The idea of using the back is close, though it doesn't quite get the cigar. I suspect if the viewer was cropped in closer to the figure, and the figure was completely blacked out to the point he became only a silhouette, then this might achieve this idea more successfully.
-with that being said, as is, this painting has a very interesting perspective that makes the figure central and more like a god-figure. This was intentional, the use of religious symbolism was becoming less and less popular, and the idea that man could conquer all was replaced. The painting does convey that idea.
-It is oh so sublime to stand on a rock as the waves and high winds sweep by! What a lovely illusion, and much more interesting, as it integrates the viewer much more directly and immediately than other landscapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment