Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Picasso: Woman Ironing




I think I understood the big deal about Picasso when I saw this painting. Picasso painted this during his blue period and it was shown in class to compare to Eugene Higgin's, The Gamblers, 1907, but this is much more interesting.

Her face. stark.
There is an element of grace to this character that is meant to be pitied. Though minimal lines are offered and the shape seems to be very flat, I would not consider this painting static. There is an energy, though slow and sad, that is moving through the paint strokes. The wisps of cobalt blue hair against the muted, dead flesh is beautiful.
the palette is really what startles me, the choice of yellow which out of this context is a happy, uplifting color, works now as a contrast to the overwhelming blues.

1 comment: